Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a tasty vegetarian recipe that goes well either as a dish in its own right or as an accompaniment to other foods. The stock can be a vegetable stock for a truly vegetarian dish, or a meat/chicken stock if preferred. It does change the overall taste a little. My daughter bought the recipe home from school many years ago and we have enjoyed it ever since.
- Melt the butter gently in a pot and put in the breadcrumbs.
- Remove from heat and stir well to butter the breadcrumbs.
- Cook the rice, salt, pepper and curry powder in the pint of stock until tender.
- Peel and slice the tomatoes and onion.
- Put the rice, tomatoes onion and grated cheese in alternate layers in a greased fireproof dish.
- Sprinkle buttered breadcrumbs over the top.
- Bake for 1/2 an hour in a moderate oven.
- Serve hot or cold.