Prep 30 mins
Cook 49 mins
'Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen', Lidia Bastianich
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 lb fresh peas, shelled (1 1/2 c fresh peas or 10 oz. frozen peas, defrosted and drained)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery, including leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup arborio rice (or other Italian short-grain rice)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a 4 to 5 quart pot over medium heat until the butter is foaming.
- Stir in the onion and cook, stirring, until light golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook until golden, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and celery; season the vegetables lightly with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Adjust heat to simmering and cook until the peas and other vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook until tender, 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally (for a firmer texture, cook the rice a few minutes less).
- Remove the soup from the heat and check the seasonings, remembering the cheese will add a little saltiness.
- Stir in grated cheese and serve immediately.