Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
If your looking for something homey and comforting this will fill the bill. Savory with a touch of sweetness from the apple it will please the the whole family.
- 1 lb lean boneless pork
- 1 onion
- 1 1⁄4 pints meat stock
- 5 ounces long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cooking apples
- 12 ounces frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives (to garnish)
- Cut the pork into cubes no more than an inch square.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Heat the stock.
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based saucepan.
- Dust the pork in the flour, then brown the meat in the oil, add the onion.
- and cook for a few minutes.
- Season to taste, add the rice and hot stock, cover the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Peel, quarter and dice the apples and stir into the casserole with the peas. Re-cover the pan and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chives.
Annacia this is an excellent recipe! It is an easy to make one-dish meal. I added 2 t. of garlic to the pork and onion mixture as well as some salt and pepper. Made for Photo Tag.