Recipe by Jess N
I took a great cooking class at a Whole Foods store. This is one of the great recipes I got that night. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 hot green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups pigeon peas, drained (fresh, canned, or frozen will work)
- 2 cups long-grain rice, washed (par-boiled rice works good)
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut ham into 1 inch pieces and season with salt, garlic and cloves.
- Brown this mixture in a heavy sauce pan.
- Add the tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, onions, pigeon peas, rice, 3 cups stock and water to a boil.
- Boil mixture, covered, over a low heat, until rice is tender.