Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The Australian Women's Weekly - Easy Curry Cookery
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice (basmati)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- Place rice in medium bowl, cover with cold water. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee or peanut oil in large saucepan, add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and seeds. Stir over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add turmeric, stir over high heat for 3 minutes.
- Drain rice.
- Stir in peas, stock and rice into saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove and discard cinnamon, cloves and cardamom before serving.