Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A traditional favourite!
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 2 cups water
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- Combine kidney beans, 2 cups water, coconut milk and garlic in a covered medium-size pot and bring to a boil.
- Add onion, green onion, black pepper, thyme and salt to taste.
- Simmer on medium heat.
- Stir in rice and mix well.
- Cook on low heat until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Fluff before serving.
I'm sorry, but this dish was lacking in flavour and spice and was rather bland. I'm someone who dislikes spicy food, but even I had to sprinkle some extra pepper on my plate, but that didn't help much either. Perhaps some paprika or red chili flakes would give this otherwise nice dish some bite!
I love the textures and flavour of this dish. I've made this rice several times now and I agree that it is better the next day. It tastes wonderful served with hot and spicy dishes but it also works well spiced up with scotch bonnets and served with blander dishes. Thanks for sharing your tasty rice recipe Dave.
This dish was easy and economical to prepare. I really liked it, but my family who is used to eating lots of beans and rice didn't like it as much, and didn't clean their plates. I will make it again, but only for myself.