Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup french green lentil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 orange
- 1⁄3 cup dried cherries, chopped or 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Boil water, rice, and salt in a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan, uncovered and undisturbed, until steam holes appear and surface looks dry, about 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to very low and cook, covered and undisturbed, 15 minutes more.
- While rice cooks, simmer lentils in water to cover by 2 inches 18 to 20 minutes, or until just tender, then drain.
- Stir together shallot, vinegar, and lemon juice and let stand.
- Finely grate zest from orange and cut away remaining peel and pith.
- Cut sections free from membranes and cut sections into 1/2-inch pieces. Toss warm rice with lentils, shallot mixture, orange, zest, cherries, oil, and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.