Recipe by Derf
Quick, tastey supper, serve with fresh vine ripened tomato and cucumber slices. adapted from Canadian Living mag.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups long grain rice
- 2 2⁄3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups swiss chard or 3 cups spinach, coarsely shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon wedge (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice.
- Add stock and lemon rind; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- With fork, gently stir shrimp, swiss chard, dill and lemon juice into rice mixture; cover and cook until shrimp are pink and greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- Variation: Vegetarian Rice and Greens: Omit shrimp, Replace chicken stock with veggie stock.
- Serve sprinkled with 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese it desired.