1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is an easier and healthier way to eat eggplant then the more traditional breaded. Sometimes I will cook the rice in chicken or beef broth for a little different flavour. This recipe originally comes from the cookbook--So Fat, Low Fat, No Fat by Betty Rohde.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (to taste)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese or 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese or 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Spray a 9x9 inch baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
- 3Place the eggplant with 1/2 cup of salted water in a saucepan, cover and bring to a boil.
- 4Lower the heat and cook just until tender, with the lid on, watching closely as the water might cook away and burn the eggplant.
- 5Saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms until they start to brown, stirring frequently.
- 6Add the tomato sauce, oregano and basil.
- 7In a small bowl, mix the cottage cheese and skim milk.
- 8To assemble the casserole: Make a layer on the bottom with half the cooked rice, top with half the eggplant, half the cottage cheese and milk mixture, half the mushroom tomato sauce then half the mozzarella, repeating until the mozzarella is on the top.
- 9Bake covered for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
- 10Remove cover then return to oven for approximately 5 minutes or until cheese has turned golden in colour.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice and Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.0
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 6.9 mg
- Sodium 743.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 18.6 g