1 hr 30 mins
Food & Wine. Serve with Jacob's Creek Cabernet Sauvignon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1 (2 lb) savoy cabbage, cored
- 2 cups whole milk yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb cremini mushroom, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 3 cups chopped canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.
- 2Stir in the brown and wild rices, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- 3Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, add the cabbage, cored side down, and cook over moderately high heat until the outer leaves begin to loosen, about 10 minutes.
- 4Using tongs, carefully peel 8 outer leaves from the head of cabbage as they become loose. Reserve the remaining cabbage for another use.
- 5Cut each of the 8 leaves in half and discard the thick center rib.
- 6In a medium bowl, blend the yogurt and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- 7Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and lemon juice; season with salt. Cook over moderate heat until the mushrooms are tender and their liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes.
- 8Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- 9Add the mushrooms to the rice. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the dill and 1/2 cup of the yogurt sauce; season with salt and pepper.
- 10Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until their liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- 11Stir in the tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- 12Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread a cabbage leaf on a work surface with the cut side facing you.
- 13Place 1/4 cup of the rice filling within 1/2 inch of the edge. Roll the leaf over the filling, tucking in the sides as you roll, to form a neat package.
- 14Repeat with the remaining leaves and filling.
- 15Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a shallow 10-by-14-inch glass baking dish.
- 16Add 1/4 cup of water, arrange the rolls in the baking dish, seam side down.
- 17Spoon the remaining tomato sauce over the rolls and cover with foil.
- 18Bake the cabbage rolls for 45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the rolls are hot throughout. Transfer the cabbage rolls to plates.
- 19Spoon the remaining 1 1/2 cups of yogurt sauce over the rolls. Sprinkle with the walnuts and the remaining 1 tablespoon of dill and serve.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice and Cremini Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (688 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.6
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.1 mg
- Sodium 423.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 18.5 g
- Protein 19.8 g