Heather U.'s Note:
From Eating Well April/May 2005. "These crispy fried patties get a swift kick from the easy-to-make bean-and-salsa accompaniment. Instant brown rice only takes about 10 minutes, a great shortcut on a busy night. Garnish with sour cream and scallions."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1Cook rice with the amount of water called for in the package directions, adding scallions, garlic and thyme to the water. Remove from heat and stir in corn, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Let stand for about 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- 2Whisk eggs in a large bowl until frothy. Add the rice mixture and mash with a potato masher until the mixture holds together (it will be fairly soft), about 1 minute. Shape the mixure into 8 patties.
- 3Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully transfer 4 patties to the pan with a spatula and cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and repeat with the remaining 4 patties.
- 4Meanwhile, combine beans and salsa in a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 5 minutes. To serve, divide the beans among 4 plates and top with 2 patties each.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice and Corn Cakes With Spicy Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.6
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 722.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat breadcrumbs