Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a favorite in our family. It's super easy to make. It's healthy. AND it travels well when you have to fit a meal into a night of sports or other kids' activities. We wrap these in foil, individually. Warm in the oven at 300F, then put into a small cooler (no ice, of course) to keep hot until ready to eat. Stow along a bag of tortillia chips too!!!
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces Pace Picante Sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 -10 flour tortillas, burrito size
- Cook rice. Bring 2 cups water and 1 cup rice to boil on stove top in a 2 quart sauce pan. Allow to boil 5 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer till all liquid is absorbed. Check on it after 30 minutes of cooking. If water is not yet absorbed, continue to cook. Check every 10 minutes to see progress until all water is absorbed.
- Combine picante sauce and black beans with with cooked rice.
- Spoon 1/3 Cup of the rice mixture into the center of a flour tortillia.
- Top with about 3 Tbs. shredded cheese.
- Wrap burrito-style.
- Wrap in foil.
- Repeat until all of the rice and beans mixture is used.
- Place wraps in a 300F oven to keep warm until time to serve.
- Serve with warm tortillia chips.
What a great lunch. I cut the recipe in half and used Sassy Red Salsa#426147 for the Pace salsa and otherwise followed the instructions. I think next time I might put some green onions on top before rolling (I love onions) but this will be a repeat in our house. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
I cut this recipe in half & used 4 wraps & the 2 of us had a wonderfully tasty lunch! Tops all the way around ~ Prep, Taste & a keeper recipe, too! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup recipe tag]
We had this tonight for dinner and it was very good. I cooked the rice yesterday in my rice cooker and then refrigerated it. So tonight it went together very fast. I put the rice into a microwave covered dish, the sauce and then the black beans on top. With that, I put it in for 5 minutes, stirring once half way through. Added a couple of large spoonfuls onto the tortillia, then cheese and rolled it up. Since everything was hot, I skipped the oven step and we just dug right in. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup (July '10-Jan '11)