Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A staple of Colombian (and other Hispanic cultures) meals. My husband likes to cook the beans with pigs feet and eats it alone with the rice. I don't like the greasiness of pigs feet so I am posting a more "generic" recipe here.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sazon goya (or other brand, found in international aisle)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 cups cooked rice (your recipe)
- In a medium saucepan, saute bacon in olive oil over medium low heat until fat starts to render.
- Add onions and red pepper; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, cook 3 minutes.
- Add red kidney beans, sazon, tomato paste, salt to taste and water to cover; stir well to combine.
- Cover saucepan and cook at least 30 minutes or until beans are done to desired consistency (I like them kind of mushy).
- During last 5 minutes of cooking add in cilantro and oregano.
- Serve over rice, or along side.