Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had a bunch of unused ingredients in the refrigerator (I had made burritos on the previous night). In my effort not to waste food, I combined them into one dish. I do this often...and the results are usually somewhat frightening. But this time, I kind of liked the end result. I used a lot more cilantro than called for in the recipe...and I think it made the dish taste very good. But I suspect that most people will want to taste some of the other ingredients. I don't add any salt because much salt is already added to the canned goods.
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 -3 cups cooked rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- mozzarella cheese
- crushed red pepper flakes
- In large skillet, warm oil over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic and onion until golden.
- Add celery and continue to fry for a couple minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce until mixture simmers.
- Add black beans and continue to heat for several minutes.
- Add cilantro and red pepper flakes (to taste). I use more than 1/2 cup cilantro and I add a fair amount of red pepper flakes -- but I think my taste buds may be out of whack.
- Mix in cooked rice.
- Top with mozarella cheese (to taste).