Recipe by Bayhill
Posted for the Zaar World Tour-Denmark. From the "Best of International Cooking" cookbook. I haven't tried this recipe yet. Note: prep time includes refrigeration time.
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked short-grain white rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
Quick cherry sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- cherry flavored liqueur, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice and milk. Cook over medium heat 45 minutes or until rice is tender; set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream until stiff; stir in vanilla. Stir whipped cream, sugar and chopped almonds into cooled rice mixture. Spoon into a serving dish. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- To make sauce: Heat cherries with juice. Dissolve cornstarch in a little water. Stir into cherries; gently stir over medium heat until thickened. Flavor with liquer, if desired. Serve rice pudding with hot cherry sauce.
- Interesting note: It was once traditional in Denmark to include 1 whole almond in the rice pudding. The person who found it would receive the prize-a marzipan pig.