Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love Rice-a-Roni. LOVE IT! So, looking for a quicker version of stuffed peppers, I came up with this.
- In a large lidded skillet, brown the hamburger with the Rice-a-Roni (set aside the seasoning packet), onion, garlic and one of the bell peppers (diced), until the hamburger is no longer pink and the onions are clear.
- Drain well.
- Put hamburger mixture back in the pan and add the tomatoes with mild chilis.
- In a large measuring cup, combine 2 1/2 cups hot water with the seasoning packet from the Rice-A-Roni and whisk together.
- Stir the water into the mixture in the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduced heat to medium low and cover.
- Cook 20 minutes, stirring once after 15 minutes.
- While this is cooking, prepare the other 6 peppers by cutting off the tops, removing the seeds, and rinsing the the insides (and outside too).
- Arrange peppers in a shallow microwave safe baking dish.
- When the meat mixture is done, fill each of the peppers with the meat/Rice-A-Roni mixture and top with 2 T of shredded cheese. (If you have extra of the meat mixture, just spoon it around the peppers.).
- Microwave for 5-10 minutes and serve.
I followed the recipe as written but the filling was really wet and the rice was mushy but still somewhat crunchy. I'm not sure what I did wrong as I followed the recipe. We did eat it but everyone said it was more like a soup filling them stuffed peppers.