Yes, it is possible to make your own homemade Rice A Roni in the microwave. My microwave is fairly powerful, so please adjust this recipe to yours accordingly. Mine often just sits in the microwave for a while while I finish dinner, and that way it stays hot and is still good once I fluff it.
- 3⁄4 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta (or you can use broken up angel hair or vermicelli for that more authentic look. I am just time crunc)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth (I mix from chicken base or bouillon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- Place rice, orzo (or other pasta) and margarine in a 2 quart heavy glass bowl. Microwave on high 3 1/2 - 4 minutes stirring after every minute (more often toward the end if you use pasta other than orzo) or until pasta is golden brown.
- Stir in broth (or bouillon) and spices.
- Microwave 12 minutes on high.
- Let sit 3 minutes in microwave.
- Fluff with fork and serve.
Perfect, and exactly what I was craving. I really only use my microwave to re-heat things. This recipe has made me rethink that.I did make a couple substitutions. I used spaghetti instead of orzo and I didn't have any broth, so I used half a package of onion soup mix and added the garlic powder and some Penzy's pasta sprinkle. So, good! Thanks for posting!
This was a very simple recipe to follow with ingredients I had in the pantry. I like that I can control the sodium. The timing was exactly right. As was mentioned, I left the rice in the microwave while I finished the rest of dinner and fluffed it just before serving. It stayed hot and was ready when I was. Thanks for a go to side dish.
Delicious and easy. Served for lunch with hotdogs and steamed broccoli.