This is a recipe for a cold rice/chicken salad with a curry twist, using Rice-a-Roni. My sister-in-law makes this for potlucks, baby showers, family get-togethers. It is always a favorite dish. I have made it as well and love the curry taste in it....and I'm not a huge curry fan! This recipe will serve 6 if it's used as a main dish or 8 for side servings. If you make it for a crowd, just double the recipe.
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) box chicken rice-a-roni
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup celery, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned artichoke hearts, drained and cut (save liquid)
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and diced
Dressing (use reserved artichoke liquid plus)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- Cook Rice-a-Roni according to directions and cool.
- Cook chicken separately and chop.
- Add into rice, the diced onion, green pepper, artichoke and chicken.
- Next, stir together the three dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add dressing to rice salad mixture and stir.
- Place salad into a 9 x 13 dish or deep bowl edged with curly lettuce leaf to make it pretty.
- Chill 2 hours and serve.