This is a recipe for a cold rice/chicken salad with a curry twist, using Rice-a-Roni. My sister-in-law makes this for potlucks, baby showers, family get-togethers. It is always a favorite dish. I have made it as well and love the curry taste in it....and I'm not a huge curry fan! This recipe will serve 6 if it's used as a main dish or 8 for side servings. If you make it for a crowd, just double the recipe.
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) box chicken rice-a-roni
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup celery, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned artichoke hearts, drained and cut (save liquid)
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and diced
Dressing (use reserved artichoke liquid plus)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- Cook Rice-a-Roni according to directions and cool.
- Cook chicken separately and chop.
- Add into rice, the diced onion, green pepper, artichoke and chicken.
- Next, stir together the three dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add dressing to rice salad mixture and stir.
- Place salad into a 9 x 13 dish or deep bowl edged with curly lettuce leaf to make it pretty.
- Chill 2 hours and serve.
I love this recipe. I use red bell pepper for color and I use green olives with pimentos in the middle. YUMMMM!!!
Let me just say, I was skeptical before I made this. Cold rice? Eh. But I made it and the flavors and textures slowly all came together and it was simply amazing. The longer you let it chill the more amazing it becomes. I let it "marinate" in the fridge a full 24 hours before we dug into it and we were blown away. The curry is the perfect touch, it's very subtle but not subdued. We had this as is and over tortilla chips with shredded cheese and we LOVED it both ways. I highly recommend this dish to EVERYONE. So delicious! Thanks for sharing with everyone here at Recipezaar!