Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A recipe favorite of an aunt. Very tasty side dish
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- parsley sprig, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chicken soup base
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- Wash rice well with water to remove starch.
- Add some water to prevent burning.
- Saute onion, celery and carrots in butter.
- Add paprika, parsley, rice and soup mix, and seasonings.
- Cook adding water to equivalent of 2 1/2 cups.
- Simmer approx 3/4 hour.
This was a nice rice dish. I used 3 3/4 cups of water for this. Instead of 2 tbsps. of butter, I substituted it with 1 tbsp. of oil. Since we are vegetarians, I omitted the chicken soup base as well. I did not have paprika on hand, so had to leave that out as well. I used a little more black pepper instead. This is a nice recipe. Thanks for sharing :)
My mom's parents were from Hungary. When my mom made rice this is the recipe she used. I grew up with this recipe. She always cooked this with oven breaded chicken. Love it!