A Crescent Dragonwagon recipe--from her teenager hippie days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced vertically into thin crescents
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced vertically into strips
- 1 carrot, diced
- 5 -6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 4 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or 2 tablespoons cashews
- 2 -4 ounces cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (she uses a combination of Muenster, cheddar, and mozzarella)
- 1In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add in the onion; stir/saute for 3 minutes.
- 3Add in the bell pepper and carrot; stir/saute 3 minutes.
- 4Add in the mushrooms and celery; stir/saute 4 minutes.
- 5Gradually stir in the rice, folding the vegetables into it.
- 6Lower the heat and add in raisins, and the next 8 ingredients; stir gently, folding the ingredients together.
- 7Place cover on the skillet and cook on low heat for about 6-8 minutes or until warmed through (you can add a little water for the rice to steam in if needed).
- 8When the rice is quite hot, stir in the cheese and cook just until the cubes start to melt.
- 9Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice a La Hippie
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.6
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 108.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 7.1 g