Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Crescent Dragonwagon recipe--from her teenager hippie days.
Make and share this Rice a La Hippie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced vertically into thin crescents
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced vertically into strips
- 1 carrot, diced
- 5 -6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 4 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or 2 tablespoons cashews
- 2 -4 ounces cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (she uses a combination of Muenster, cheddar, and mozzarella)
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the onion; stir/saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in the bell pepper and carrot; stir/saute 3 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and celery; stir/saute 4 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the rice, folding the vegetables into it.
- Lower the heat and add in raisins, and the next 8 ingredients; stir gently, folding the ingredients together.
- Place cover on the skillet and cook on low heat for about 6-8 minutes or until warmed through (you can add a little water for the rice to steam in if needed).
- When the rice is quite hot, stir in the cheese and cook just until the cubes start to melt.
- Serve immediately.