Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken from here = http://italianfood.about.com/od/pastabasics/ig/The-Pasta-Shapes-Gallery/Riccioli--Pasta-curls-.htm Cooking times are estimates.
- 300 g macaroni (riccioli amalfitani or similar pasta)
- 3 medium sized eggplants
- 4 plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 100 g mozzarella cheese, diced (ideally buffalo, but cow's milk will work)
- 10 basil leaves, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- abundant freshly grated parmigiano (at least a half cup)
- salt and pepper
- Peel and sliced the eggplant; salt the slices and put them in a colander in the sink for an hour, while the salt draws out their bitter juices.
- Rinse them, pat them dry, and dice them finely.
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet and sauté the onion until it has become golden and translucent.
- Add the eggplant and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the basil, check seasoning, and cook the sauce for 15 minutes.
- While preparing the sauce you should also heat the pasta water, salt it, and cook the pasta; by this point the pasta should be about done.
- Drain it, and turn it into a bowl with the mozzarella and freshly grated Parmigiano.
- Serve at once, with more Parmigiano for those who want it.
Delicious and light summer pasta. I used pasta I had on hand and it paired nicely with this sauce!