1/2 Photos of Ricciarelli - Traditional Italian Almond Cookies
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Ricciarelli are wonderful intense flavor almond cookies that originated in the town of Siena, Italy. Very popular year 'round, but especially at Christmas time! I like to add a spoonful of rum or orange zest to the dough, for variation. You can also use lemon, brandy or Amaretto. Dip the baked ricciarelli in melted chocolate, if desired. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
My Private Note
dozen R ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the blanched almonds into a nut grinder or food processor fitted with a steel blade; process to a fine powder.
- 2Transfer to a mixer bowl and mix in the almond paste with an electric mixer. Add the egg white and mix at the lowest speed until thoroughly blended (the dough should be firm). Add the baking powder and the almond extract (and the orange zest if using), and mix until well blended.
- 3Use a small cookie scoop to portion the dough into roughly 1-heaping tablespoonful sized balls. Dust your hands with icing sugar and then roll these balls to form little finger sized logs. Place the ricciarelli logs 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets and then flatten slightly. Let stand uncovered at room temperature at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 4When you are ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 300F degrees.
- 5Place cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake until the cookies are a very light tan, 20 to 30 minutes. Take care NOT to bake until brown or crisp, as it is the softness that makes the ricciarelli so delicious!
- 6Generously dust cookies with additional icing sugar while still warm, then carefully transfer to racks to finish cooling.
- 7Ricciarelli cookies keep for several weeks in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ricciarelli - Traditional Italian Almond Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (713 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1352.6
- Calories from Fat 838
- Total Fat 93.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 150.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 75.7 g
- Protein 35.1 g