Recipe by Chris Willey
This has to be one of the most delicious apple cakes that I have ever tried. It tastes just like an apple dumpling! This is a quintessential comfort food. Johnny Appleseed would be proud after eating this cake due to the fruits of his labor.
- 5 -6 apples
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 5 tablespoons of sugar over the apples, then toss and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, the rest of the sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the canola oil, eggs, juice and vanilla. Mix the ingredients until batter is creamy.
- Pour half of batter into lightly greased and floured tube pan.
- Layer half of the apples, then the rest of the batter, and then the remainder of the apples in the pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until done.
- Serve warm with a good quality vanilla ice cream and a nice cup of coffee or tea of your choice.
- No frosting is needed. The apples create a moist and flavorful topping and filling.
- Experiment by adding a cup of fresh cranberries to the batter, or substitute apples for pears.