Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Long, slow simmering yields a succulently tender meat. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut
- water, boiling
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups cooked tomatoes (canned is fine)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Season meat with salt and pepper; rub lightly with cut clove of garlic and barely cover with boiling water.
- Add onion, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add tomatoes and paprika; simmer uncovered for an additional hour.