Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Judith Finlayson's "The Healthy Slow Cooker." This may be prepared though step 2, then covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs country-style pork ribs or 2 1⁄2 lbs pork side ribs, sliced and trimmed of fat
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 8 stalks celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 2 cups wheat berries, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika, dissolved in the 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 8 cups collard greens, about 2 bunches thinly sliced in chiffonade style
- balsamic vinegar
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Add ribs, in batches, and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- In same skillet, reduce heat to medium and add onions and celery to pan and cook, stirring, until celery is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon stick and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wheat berries and toss to coat. Add stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until ribs are tender and falling off the bone. Add paprika solution and stir well. Add collard greens, in batches, completely submerging each batch in the liquid before adding another. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes, until collards are tender. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Serve and pass the balsamic vinegar at the table.