Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This hearty Italian bread soup is rich and filling, great for a wintry day. This soup is forgiving and unfussy: you can leave out the carrots and/or celery if you don't have any, you can substitute spinach or escarole for the kale. It will improve in flavor as it sits, but it will also thicken; add water or stock to the desired consistency when reheating. Taken from Tasting Table http://www.tastingtable.com
- 8 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans or 2 cups canned cannellini beans, divided
- 3⁄4 lb tuscan bread, cut in 1-inch cubes and divided (about 5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 lb Italian sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 small carrots, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bunch tuscan kale, cut in chiffonade (4 cups packed)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in their juice
- 1⁄8 lb parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a blender, combine 1 c chicken stock, 1 c cannellini beans and 1 c bread cubes. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook sausage in 1 tbsp olive oil, stirring frequently, until sausage begins to brown, about 5 minute Add onion, carrot and celery and cook until soft, 5-8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and kale, and cook, stirring often, until garlic is fragrant and kale is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- Add diced tomatoes, remaining chicken stock, remaning beans, bean-bread puree and Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 45 minutes, covered.
- Toss remaining bread with remaining olive oil until coat. Spread in one layer on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven until crisp and brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Divide soup among serving bowls and top with croutons. Drizzle with more olive oil and serve with more Parmesan passed alongside.