1 hr 30 mins
This hearty Italian bread soup is rich and filling, great for a wintry day. This soup is forgiving and unfussy: you can leave out the carrots and/or celery if you don't have any, you can substitute spinach or escarole for the kale. It will improve in flavor as it sits, but it will also thicken; add water or stock to the desired consistency when reheating. Taken from Tasting Table http://www.tastingtable.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans or 2 cups canned cannellini beans, divided
- 3/4 lb tuscan bread, cut in 1-inch cubes and divided (about 5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 lb Italian sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 small carrots, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bunch tuscan kale, cut in chiffonade (4 cups packed)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in their juice
- 1/8 lb parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a blender, combine 1 c chicken stock, 1 c cannellini beans and 1 c bread cubes. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- 3In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook sausage in 1 tbsp olive oil, stirring frequently, until sausage begins to brown, about 5 minute Add onion, carrot and celery and cook until soft, 5-8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and kale, and cook, stirring often, until garlic is fragrant and kale is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- 4Add diced tomatoes, remaining chicken stock, remaning beans, bean-bread puree and Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 45 minutes, covered.
- 5Toss remaining bread with remaining olive oil until coat. Spread in one layer on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven until crisp and brown, 12-15 minutes.
- 6Divide soup among serving bowls and top with croutons. Drizzle with more olive oil and serve with more Parmesan passed alongside.
Browse Our Top Chard Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ribollita With Sausage and Kale
Serving Size: 1 (480 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.0
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 21.5 mg
- Sodium 1066.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 20.7 g