Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is a family favorite, I can remember loving it from my first bite when I was a tiny tot. It makes a beautiful presentation when put in a glass 11x13 baking dish. It takes a few minutes every hour or so to tend to the 9 layers, but it will be worth every minute! Be sure to take copies of the recipe when you take this to your next party. Be assured people will ask for the recipe!
- 5 (3 ounce) packagesof different colored Jello gelatin
- 2 (1 ounce) envelopesof knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- water, as needed to prepare jello layers
- Prepare one pkg of Jello using 1 Cup boiling water and 1/2 Cup cold water.
- Allow each color of Jello to sit out on the counter for approx 1/2 hour before adding to your cooling Jello (if you don't your bottom layers will begin to melt).
- The first layer will go in the bottom of the dish.
- Refrigerate each layer approx 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- To prepare the "white" layer:.
- In medium pot, boil 2 cups milk.
- Add 1 cup sugar.
- Stir until dissolved.
- In small bowl, mix together 2 pkg Knox gelatin with 1 cup cold water.
- Slowly add mixture to hot milk.
- Turn off the heat.
- Put 2 cups sour cream in large bowl.
- Slowly add the hot milk mixture and beat on medium with electric beater to get lumps out.
- Leave white mixture on counter, stirring about every 1/2 hour to keep from jelling.
- After the 1st layer of Jello has firmed, remove dish from fridge.
- USING LADLE, gently pour a thin layer of the white layer over the Jello, be sure to cover completely.
- Put back into fridge to firm.
- Continue to alternate layers: Jello, white, Jello, white, etc allowing each layer to firm up before adding another.
- This will last covered in the fridge for about 3-4 days--just not in my house!
Who doesn't love ribbon jello? It's easy, attractive, and yummy! You can customize the colors for occasion-appropriateness. A guaranteed kid-pleaser!
How have I not rated this sooner?? I absolutely adore this ribbon jello recipe- and it looks so pretty when it's all finished! My mom refuses to make it for family gatherings anymore because it takes so much time, so I surprised the family last Christmas with it! I definitely think Dad officially gave me 'favorite daughter status' because of it!! :) Thanks for such a great recipe!