Recipe by superbuna
A three-layer cookie good enough for your holiday baked goods. Not too sweet. Have made these for 50 years and don't recall source anymore!
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soft shortening (like Crisco)
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup snipped candied cherry
- 1 unsweetened chocolate square, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baklng powder & salt. Cream shortening with sugar till fluffy; stir in egg & vanilla. Blend in flour mixture.
- Divide dough into three parts. Add cherries to one part, chocolate to second part, and nuts to remaining part.
- Line a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan with waxed paper. Pack cherry layer into pan first, firmly press to make smooth. Do the same with remaining layers. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- To bake, cut loaf lengthwise into thirds; then cut crosswise into 1/4" slices. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake in 400 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes to very light brown around edges.
- Prep time does not include overnight chilling of dough.