Prep 30 mins
Cook 23 mins
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup tightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 (8 -10 ounce) rib eye steaks (1-inch thick)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Make sauce: grill the bell pepper over direct medium heat until it is blackened and blistered all over, 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place the pepper in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap to trap the steam; set aside for at least 10 minutes, then peel the skin from the pepper, discard the stem and seeds, and roughly chop the pepper.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the coriander, mustard, and cumin seeds until aromatic, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pulverize the spices in a spice/coffee grinder.
- In a food processor, finely chop the garlic; add in the chopped bell pepper, pulverized spices, and remaining sauce ingredients; process until smooth.
- Let steaks stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Lightly brush or spray both sides of the steaks with oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over direct high heat until cooked to desired doneness, 6-8 minutes for medium-rare, turning once.
- Remove from the grill and let rest 3-5 minutes; serve warm with the sauce on the side.