Perfectly cooked steaks, nicely seasoned with a rich sweet and slightly spicy glaze. The rib eyes should be room temperature so bring meat out of the refrigerator 1 hour before searing. Use tongs so not to puncture the meat. This serves 12 normal adults. 1/4 pound per adult. BUT if like my Husband he'll eat the whole steak himself. I just don't know how he does it! Leftovers are nice over a bed of greens and a blue cheese dressing.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat cast iron pan to medium high/ high heat.
- Mix flour and seasoning together. Dry meat with a paper towel. Coat meat with the flour seasoning mix.
- Add onions and garlic to the remaining flour and toss to barely coat.
- Pour oil in a cast iron pan just to cover bottom.
- Pan sear meat on one side for 3 minutes, flip to other side for 3 minutes.
- Then place on end in pan, they are thick enough to stand on their own.
- Add onion and garlic to pan around the meat.
- Place thermometer in to meat and place into oven.
- Roast till desired doneness.
- Rare - 130 to 140 degrees F; medium-rare - 140 to 150 degrees F; medium - 150 to 160 degrees F; medium-well - 160 to 170 degrees F,.
- Remove, tent lightly with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add port to the onions in the pan over medium high heat to deglaze scraping all the goodness from pan. Reducing by halve. Stir in the butter to thicken and serve over the steaks.
- Slice across the grain.
- Serve as individual steaks or slice just before serving on warmed plates.