Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe by David Kreifels, Laurelhurst Market, Portland, Oregon. Published in Bon Appetit Sept. 2010. Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/09/rib_eye_steak_with_blue_cheese_butter_and_walla_walla_onion_rings#ixzz1guvFmtrK
- 2 rib eye steaks (1 lb each, about 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick)
- coarse kosher salt
Blue Cheese Butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons crumbled american blue cheese, room temperature (such as Maytag)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
Walla Walla Onion Rings
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- canola oil (for deep-frying) or peanut oil (for deep-frying)
- 1 large about 12 ounces walla walla onions (such as Vidalia or Maui) or 1 large other sweet onion, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds, separated into rings (such as Vidalia or Maui)
- Sprinkle steaks on both sides with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place on plate; cover and chill overnight.
- Blue Cheese Butter.
- Using fork, mix all ingredients in small bowl. Season with freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before using.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill steaks to desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to cutting board; let rest 5 minutes.
- Walla Walla Onion Rings.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour, coarse salt, and baking powder in medium bowl. Add beer and vodka; whisk just until blended. Pour enough oil into heavy large pot to reach depth of 2 inches. Attach deep-fry thermometer to side of pot; heat oil over medium heat to 350°F Working with 2 onion rings at a time, dip onion rings into batter; shake off excess. Gently drop onion rings into hot oil; fry until deep golden, adjusting heat to maintain temperature, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer onion rings to paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter and onion rings.
- Cut steaks in half across grain. Place 1 steak half on each of 4 plates. Top with blue cheese butter and onion rings.