Prep 6 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
Rib eye roast, seared and then roasted to perfection! Truly mouth watering. My family was my test subject. They are hard to impress.
- 5 -7 lbs beef rib eye roast (bone in)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh rosemary (4 tbs dried)
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 3 tablespoons peppercorns (melange)
- kosher salt (approx 2 tbs)
- whole grain Dijon mustard (enough to coat roast)
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce (truly a swag)
- 3 cups merlot
- Place rosemary, garlic, peppercorns, and salt in processor and grind.
- Add olive and pulse to a paste.
- Place in refrigerator.
- Coat entire roast with Dijon mustard. Set on dish or in very large plastic bag and sprinkle Worcestershire sauce over roast to ensure an even distribution.
- Allow roast to absorb mustard flavor while resting in the refrigerator overnight. (min 6 hours).
- Allow roast to reach room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sear on all sides to lock in juices.
- spread herb paste on all surfaces except the rib area covered by the membrane. Place, rib side up, on a rack in a high side dish.
- De glaze pan used to sear with merlot. Attempt to capture all of the bits.
- Add water to the bottom of the dish to a depth of 1/2 inch.
- Slowly pour pan juices over roast, ensuring you capture the bit on the meat and not "wash" away herb paste.
- Roast until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees. (No basting is required but ensure that the fluids in the dish do not completely evaporate and don't consist of only grease.
- Tent aluminum foil over meat on serving dish and allow to rest. Internal temp will continue to rise for a short time.
- Again, de glaze roasting dish with Merlot and reduce to half the amount. (personal choice as the juices collected while resting are just as good.
Excellent recipe. Served it to family and got rave reviews, the meat was tender and tasty and the au jus came out perfect. Really not much active time involved in preparation. I cooked it on a rack over a cast iron skillet on a 3 burner weber gas grill with one to two burners active on the lowest heat and took it out when the inside temperature reached 130 degrees.