Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Roasting turns a so-so tomato into something pretty wonderful and tasty. It makes a high-season beauty that much more amazing. Here with a rib-eye steak it is oh so awesome!! Roast the tomatoes ahead of time so you can avoid having the oven on during the afternoon heat. I didn't allow for cooling time -- loosley based on a recipe from marthastewart.com.
- 6 medium tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 lbs boneless rib-eye steaks (3/4-inch thick, 3 steaks)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 -2 cup arugula
- Preheat oven to 500°F with rack in middle.
- Toss tomatoes with shallots, garlic, oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper & pinch of crushed red pepper flakes in a shallow 3-quart baking dish, then arrange tomatoes cut sides up.
- Roast, uncovered, basting once, until tomatoes are tender but still hold their shape and are starting to brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- While tomatoes cool, prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas).
- Sprinkle each steak all over with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (total per steak).
- Oil grill rack, then grill steaks, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, 5 to 6 minutes total for medium-rare.
- Transfer to a cutting board.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with some of oil from roasted tomatoes and grill, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, until lightly toasted and grill marks form, about 1 minute total.
- Stir together vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved, then stir in herbs.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with some of herb mixture (about a tablespoon per slice).
- Slice steaks thinly & on a bias, then make into sandwiches with bread, roasted tomatoes and shallots, and arugula.
- Serve with an herbed potato salad, corn on the cob and a green vegetable, Seasoned Green Beans(we made them w/out basil)recipe #17425.
- *Tomatoes can be roasted 1 day ahead, cooled, and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.
- ** Steaks can be cooked in a hot lightly oiled large (2-burner) ridged grill pan.