1 hr 10 mins
Roasting turns a so-so tomato into something pretty wonderful and tasty. It makes a high-season beauty that much more amazing. Here with a rib-eye steak it is oh so awesome!! Roast the tomatoes ahead of time so you can avoid having the oven on during the afternoon heat. I didn't allow for cooling time -- loosley based on a recipe from marthastewart.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4 lbs boneless rib-eye steaks (3/4-inch thick, 3 steaks)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 -2 cup arugula
- 1Preheat oven to 500°F with rack in middle.
- 2Toss tomatoes with shallots, garlic, oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper & pinch of crushed red pepper flakes in a shallow 3-quart baking dish, then arrange tomatoes cut sides up.
- 3Roast, uncovered, basting once, until tomatoes are tender but still hold their shape and are starting to brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- 4Cool to room temperature.
- 5While tomatoes cool, prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas).
- 6Sprinkle each steak all over with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (total per steak).
- 7Oil grill rack, then grill steaks, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, 5 to 6 minutes total for medium-rare.
- 8Transfer to a cutting board.
- 9Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with some of oil from roasted tomatoes and grill, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, until lightly toasted and grill marks form, about 1 minute total.
- 10Stir together vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved, then stir in herbs.
- 11Spread one side of each bread slice with some of herb mixture (about a tablespoon per slice).
- 12Slice steaks thinly & on a bias, then make into sandwiches with bread, roasted tomatoes and shallots, and arugula.
- 13Serve with an herbed potato salad, corn on the cob and a green vegetable, Seasoned Green Beans(we made them w/out basil)Lemon-ricotta Pancakes.
- 14*Tomatoes can be roasted 1 day ahead, cooled, and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.
- 15** Steaks can be cooked in a hot lightly oiled large (2-burner) ridged grill pan.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rib-Eye and Roasted Tomato Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (591 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1199.3
- Calories from Fat 676
- Total Fat 75.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 134.9 mg
- Sodium 910.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 48.9 g