Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Odd looking but if you close your eyes and open your mouth (and mind) you are in for a treat. Recent studies report that including cinnamon in your diet can help control diabetes type 2. Replace the brown sugar in the crust with Sweet'n 'Low Brown for a lower sugar content.
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups rhubarb, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mung beans, hulled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in shortening and butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add water slowly until dough forms.
- Divide dough into two balls.
- Place cherries in a heat-proof bowl and place over a pot of boiling water.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and steam for 25 minutes.
- Strain contents of bowl, retain the liquid and dispose of cherries.
- Combine cherry liquid with sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add honey to cherry mixture, remove from heat and cool.
- Grind mung beans in blender for 5 minutes.
- Sieve the mung beans and combine flour with water.
- Add mung bean mixture to cherry liquid.
- Roll out half of buckwheat crust and line 8 inch pie pan.
- Beat eggs and honey together with cinnamon, salt and orange peel.
- Add rhubarb, zucchini and cherry jelly to egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour filling into pie pan.
- Roll out second half of crust and place over filling.
- Crimp edges and cut slits for steam in top.
- Use a pastrey brush to cover the top with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake 30 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
- Top with vanilla ice cream.