1 hr 15 mins
Cathleen Colbert's Note:
Odd looking but if you close your eyes and open your mouth (and mind) you are in for a treat. Recent studies report that including cinnamon in your diet can help control diabetes type 2. Replace the brown sugar in the crust with Sweet'n 'Low Brown for a lower sugar content.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups rhubarb, sliced
- 1/2 lb tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mung beans, hulled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar, and cinnamon.
- 3Cut in shortening and butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- 4Add water slowly until dough forms.
- 5Divide dough into two balls.
- 6Place cherries in a heat-proof bowl and place over a pot of boiling water.
- 7Cover with a tight fitting lid and steam for 25 minutes.
- 8Strain contents of bowl, retain the liquid and dispose of cherries.
- 9Combine cherry liquid with sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 10Add honey to cherry mixture, remove from heat and cool.
- 11Grind mung beans in blender for 5 minutes.
- 12Sieve the mung beans and combine flour with water.
- 13Add mung bean mixture to cherry liquid.
- 14Roll out half of buckwheat crust and line 8 inch pie pan.
- 15Beat eggs and honey together with cinnamon, salt and orange peel.
- 16Add rhubarb, zucchini and cherry jelly to egg mixture and mix well.
- 17Pour filling into pie pan.
- 18Roll out second half of crust and place over filling.
- 19Crimp edges and cut slits for steam in top.
- 20Use a pastrey brush to cover the top with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- 21Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes.
- 22Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake 30 minutes.
- 23Cool before serving.
- 24Top with vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb-Zucchini Pie With Cherry Jelly in Buckwheat Crust
Serving Size: 1 (1890 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3170.6
- Calories from Fat 1148
- Total Fat 127.6 g
- Saturated Fat 59.0 g
- Cholesterol 817.6 mg
- Sodium 2549.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 483.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.9 g
- Sugars 308.1 g
- Protein 57.0 g