Recipe by Lalaloula
Another gorgeous rhubarb recipe. Its like a custard pie and very yummy! :) Note: Chill time of 30 minutes is not included.
Top Review by awalde
Thanks for posting this wonderful tarte. I'm glad this came out so perfect and I could post you a photo . We all enjoyed it very much and I'm sure we'll be prepare this more times!
It was sweet enought and did not float away by cutting!
- 250 g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g butter, softened
- 50 g sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 900 g rhubarb
- 80 g sugar (more if your rhubarb is very sour)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground vanilla
- 50 g sugar
- 120 g creme fraiche
- 80 g low-fat Quark (or sour cream or firm yoghurt)
- 20 g starch (e.g. potato or corn starch)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough combine all ingredients and knead into a dough. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Wash, peel (if necessary) and cut rhubarb into chunks. Spinkle with sugar and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- In a pot steam rhubarb stirring frequently until it is tender (taste the filling and if its too sour add more sugar).
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F and grease a 25 cm pie dish (a 10 inch should work fine).
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough and transfer to pie dish. If it rips, just pat it back together. Prick with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the custard by combining all ingredients until well blended.
- Spread rhubarb filling on dough, cover with custard mixture and bake for about 25 minutes on the lowest rack until custard has set.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream or eat plain.