Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is best made in a cast iron skillet in the oven and served warm.
Make and share this Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place rhubarb in a greased 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Mix sugar, flour and nutmeg for topping and sprinkle over rhubarb.
- Drizzle with 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add butter, milk, and egg and beat until smooth.
- Spread batter over rhubarb mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Loosen edges immediately and invert onto serving dish.
- Serve warm.
Terry, This was so very delicious! The only change I made was using a 10" cake pan because I don't have a cast iron skillet...yet!! But as soon as I get one, this will be the first thing I make in it! While I was preparing this, I was a little nervous about the amount of sugar being sprinkled over the rhubarb, but it was just perfect when it was finished! My family loved this cake! Thank you for posting this! ~Wendy
Tasted too much nutmeg. Thanks anyway.
I made this in an 8x8 glass dish, cooking it for the full 35 minutes. My DD didn't care for this but that just means more for everyone else who liked it quite a lot. Next time I will use brown sugar and and a bit less butter; I'm after a more caramel effect when I invert the dessert. Thanks, Terri F, I will make this again. I bet it would be good with other fruit, too.