Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Add brown sugar and diced rhubarb.
- To make the batter, cream shortening and sugar together.
- Add egg and beat.
- Sift flour; add baking powder and salt, sift again.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with milk.
- Pour batter over rhubarb and bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Turn upside down on plate to serve.
- Serve with cream.
Another Very Good recipes. I put this into a 8 * 8 glass baking dish. baked it for 40 minutes turned out wonderful.
This is a WONDERFUL dessert, easy to make absolutely delicious, the best rhubard upsidedown cake I've made. I cut the white sugar to 3/4 cup from 1 cup, left everything else the same. Doing this in the cast iron skillet was great. I love this recipe. Thanks!
Very good recipe. The cake is heavy and dense, as most from scratch upside down cakes are. Since no pan size was mentioned, it was baked in a 9" X 9" X 2" square pan. It took about 50-55 minutes to bake. Only changes made were to add 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, and about 1/4th cup more rhubarb, as the rhubarb pieces were small. I honestly don't know if the addition of vanilla made a significant difference in the taste of the cake or not. Thanks for posting, Dancer. Will be using it again.