Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of "the best" quick'n easy, tart 'n tangy Rhubarb Cakes I've ever had. Serve slightly warmed topped with French Vanilla Cool Whip. Delish!!
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup crisco butter flavor shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- french vanilla cool whip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, add melted butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and the cut-up rhubarb, mix together.
- In a greased (9-inch) square baking pan, add the rhubarb-sugar mixture.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, cream shortening and remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract; beat well.
- Sift together, the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add milk and sifted, flour mixture; alternately to the creamed mixture.
- Spread over the rhubarb/sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Let cake sit for 10 minutes in pan, before inverting onto serving plate.
- Let cake cool just a bit, but serve slightly warmed, topped with French Vanilla Cool Whip.
- Cut cake to make 6 servings.