Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe I got from my Mum, I have no idea where she got it, but it is an old family favorite. I freeze Rhubarb in 2 cup baggies, pre-cut, just so I can make this cake year round. I usually cut it into 16 pieces, which makes for a taste for all, but it makes 9 very generous pieces too. It is yummy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut in 1-2 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- Oven at 350 f.
- Topping: (the first 3 ingredients). In a 9x9 inch cake pan, melt butter, stir in 1/3 cup sugar and rhubarb. Cover with tin foil and bake 8-10 minutes, while preparing the batter.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a seperate bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Blend the eggs and vanilla into the shortening mixture. Beat ubtil light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Make 3 dry additions and 2 wet additions. Combine lightly after each.
- Turn into pan with rhubarb topping. The topping may be very juicy, especially if you used frozen rhubarb, but don't worry, it adds to the delicious flavor.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched.
- Immediately invert on a plate. Let it cool for 10 minutes, then remove the pan.