1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe I got from my Mum, I have no idea where she got it, but it is an old family favorite. I freeze Rhubarb in 2 cup baggies, pre-cut, just so I can make this cake year round. I usually cut it into 16 pieces, which makes for a taste for all, but it makes 9 very generous pieces too. It is yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Oven at 350 f.
- 2Topping: (the first 3 ingredients). In a 9x9 inch cake pan, melt butter, stir in 1/3 cup sugar and rhubarb. Cover with tin foil and bake 8-10 minutes, while preparing the batter.
- 3Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4In a seperate bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- 5Blend the eggs and vanilla into the shortening mixture. Beat ubtil light and fluffy.
- 6Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Make 3 dry additions and 2 wet additions. Combine lightly after each.
- 7Turn into pan with rhubarb topping. The topping may be very juicy, especially if you used frozen rhubarb, but don't worry, it adds to the delicious flavor.
- 8Bake 40-45 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched.
- 9Immediately invert on a plate. Let it cool for 10 minutes, then remove the pan.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.5
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 30.4 mg
- Sodium 144.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 2.6 g