Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Easy and delicious, with a shortbread crust, this has been a family favorite for years. I have occasionally substituted milk for the half & half with good results. Prep time does not include chilling time or rhubarb washing and cutting.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups rhubarb, cut up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first 3 ingredients and put in bottom of a 9x13 pan, patting it down lightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, beat well the next 5 ingredients. Add rhubarb and pour over baked crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 50 minutes, or until custard is set.
- Serve chilled.
I added 1/2 cup brown sugar and added 1/3 cup flour to make a firmer and thicker crust. I used fat free half and half and a drop or two of red food coloring. This was good. I will make again. I also took the advise of a reviewer regarding the crust. Thanks for posting and thanks to the reviewer.
Custard and rhubarb really compliment eachother. The shortbread crust could be a little crisper and thicker. Rhubarb lovers had seconds and thirds!
I made this a while ago and forgot to rate, sorry! I dont like rhubarb, but the people I served it to loved it and wanted the recipe for it. Thanks for posting!