Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Every Spring I start gathering rhubarb recipes for DH. Our rhubarb isn't ready until the middle of Summer though...but we are expecting tons this year! GOURMET / April 2009
- 236.59 ml fresh orange juice
- 14.79 ml fresh lime juice
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 340.19 g rhubarb, stalks thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 2.46 ml grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in the middle.
- Stir together oj, lime juice and sugar in a bowl.
- Add rhubarb and let stand, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut pastry in half lengthwise, then roll out each piece into a 11X7 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin.
- Arrange pastry rectangles side by side on an ungreased large baking sheet.
- Make a 1/2 inch border around each pastry rectangle by lightly scoring a line parallel to each edge (do not cut all the way through).
- Prick pastry inside border all over with a fork.
- Strain rhubarb mixture through a sieve set over a bowl, reserving liquid.
- Top 1 pastry rectangle (within the border) with half of rhubarb, overlapping slices slightly.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and rhubarb.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden (underside of pastry should be golden also) about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil reserved rhubarb liquid in a small saucepan, skimming foam if necessary, until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Transfer tarts to a rack.
- Brush rhubarb and pastry with glaze and sprinkle with zest.
- Suggested accompaniment vanilla ice cream.
This is one of the most beautiful desserts I've made (as well as one of the most tasty). I went with pie crust because I couldn't find rectangular puff pastry, but I think it still turned out fabulous. I garnished with raspberries and orange zest (if you space out the raspberries right, it will help you cut a pie into more even slices). Thanks for sharing!
Since it is not the Rhubarb season yet I use Plum instead and it turned out great. I am going to make it again with Rhubarb when it is in season.