Prep 3 hrs
Cook 50 mins
If you have a bit of extra time, then this is a rhurbarb dessert you should not pass up. The crust and streusel can be prepared a day ahead. I have made this many times for dinner parties, and it has never failed me yet, everyone love this!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces (place the butter pieces in the freezer for aboyt 6 minutes before processing)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 -4 tablespoons whipping cream, unwhipped
- 9 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup almonds
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 5 cups rhubarb (about 2-1/2 pounds and cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Prepare a 10-inch tart pan with removable sides.
- To make the crust: blend flour, sugar and salt in a food processor for 5 seconds using on/off turns.
- Add in the cold butter and process until the texture of coarse meal.
- Add in the egg yolk and 3 tablespoons whipping cream; blend until moist clumps form, adding in more cream if the dough seems too dry.
- Gather dough into a ball.
- Press enough dough into the tart pan with the removable bottom to make a 1/4-inch thick crust.
- Pierce crust all over with a fork.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill for two hours (this can be made up to a day ahead, covered and refrigerated).
- For the streusel: (this can also be made a day ahead along with the crust) cook butter in a large skillet over medium heat until golden, stirring often (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in almonds, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add in flour and stir until moist clumps form; cool completely, bring down to room temperature and refrigerate if you are making this a day ahead.
- If you are making this a day ahead, cover and refrigerate.
- For the filling: set oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl toss the rhurbarb, flour, sugar and lemon zest.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the filling looks moist.
- Bake the chilled crust until golden brown about 20 minutes (pressing down with a fork if the crust starts to bubble up).
- Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350 degrees.
- Spoon the rhurbarb filling into the warmed crust.
- Crumble the streusel over the filling.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until the streusel is crisp and brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Cool tart on a rack for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
How delicious this Rhubarb Tart is. The lemon zest is just what it needs for a pickup.I made this Friday and had out of town guests on Saturday. They raved about this tart and said " It was well worth the two hundred mile drive just to have this dessert!! "So it gets a plus 10 on my chart. The recipe amounts are just right, I made no changes.
This was wonderful! I made this for some visiting family from out-of-town, who love rhubarb. They loved it! The crust was super tender, I used about 8 T cream. I followed the recipe exactly and had beautiful results, it was rich and a perfect combo of sweet-tart. Thanks for posting Kitten!