Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Where I grew up rhubard grew wild on the sides of the road. We'd pick some and grandma would make us this totally awesome pudding.
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1⁄8 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, greens removed, sliced
- In a saucepan mix together all except strawberries and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, until rhubarb begins to release its juices.
- Reduce heat and simmer until rhubarb is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Cool and add strawberries. Top with whipped cream or drizzle with plain cream. Also good topped with a creme fraiche.
Wonderful!! I added 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon cloves and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. I cooked 2 cups strawberries with 4 cups rhubarb. I used 1 1/2 cups sugar and no water. I also used 6 Tablespoons tapioca. I cooked it in the microwave, covered, stirring every 3 minutes til tapioca was cooked. Will for sure make this again!!
Excellent recipe! I am always looking for new rhubarb recipes but I made some changes since I didn't have any strawberries. I substituted a cup of frozen blueberries and cut the water back to a half a cup. My husband and daughter loved it. This is a definite make-again dessert!
Absolutely Awesome!!!! I love the strawberry- rhubarb combination and this was my favorite dessert my grandmom made just for me as a child! I used frozen rhubarb and put all ingredients(except the strawberries) in the microwave for about 15 minutes stopping it 2-3 times to check and stir.<br/>I let it cool a bit then added strawberries. Tasted yummy! Then added raspberries; more yummy. Decided to throw in blueberries but they didn't soften so I put the hole bowl back into the microwave for 2 minutes; blueberries softened just right and everything melded together. Decided to put in 1/2 lemon that was in fridge and few shakes of cinnamonf. I guess I invented a 4 fruit pudding! Thanks!!!