Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made this today after finding some very expensive rhubarb at the store. I got the original recipe from Vegan Dad's site: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/ I added it to my Organic Ginger Ale and wow, what a delicious drink! It is also good added to lemonade or even tea.
- 10 cups rhubarb
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 Xylitol and 1/2 raw cane sugar)
- 1 cup strawberry jam (home made)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot and bring to bubbling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until rhubarb is cooked down and falling apart.
- Strain rhubarb through a fine sieve, taking a much liquid as you want (you now have tasty stewed rhubarb).
- Put the liquid in a stock pot that can hold about 3 times the volume of the liquid. Bring to bubbling over high heat (it will foam up like cray, so use a large pot).
- Stir rapidly, until foam goes down, then cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until liquid has become glossy. Cool and store in the fridge, adding to drinks as you see fit.