1 hr 15 mins
I make this every summer when I have fresh rhubarb in my garden. You don't need much rhubarb for the filling and it is very easy to make as it uses prepared phyllo pastry. This appeared originally in Homemakers Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (1 lb) package phyllo pastry
- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnap cookie
- icing sugar or vanilla icing (to garnish)
- whipped cream, for serving
- 1Cover rhubarb with boiling water and let stand for 30 seconds, then drain thoroughly.
- 2Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, raisins and orange peel in a medium bowl.
- 3Add the rhubarb and stir just enough to mix all of the ingredients.
- 4Prepare 2 15" x 10" cookie sheets by brushing them liberally with melted, unsalted butter.
- 5Stack 10 of the phyllo sheets between 2 slightly damp tea towels.
- 6Remove 1 sheet, recovering the rest; place it on a prepared cookie sheet and brush with melted butter.
- 7Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of crushed gingersnaps evenly over the phyllo sheet.
- 8Top with a second phyllo sheet and repeat the process with the butter and gingersnaps.
- 9Repeat with 3 more sheets, brushing each with melted butter and sprinkling with crushed gingersnaps; 5 sheets make 1 strudel.
- 10Spread half of the rhubarb mixture in a 2" strip along the edge of one of the long sides of layered phyllo sheets.
- 11Roll up the pastry (all 5 layers) just enough to cover the rhubarb mixture.
- 12If the edge has dried out a bit, brush with a small amount of melted butter to make the pastry more flexible.
- 13To keep the filling in place, make a 1" fold along the top, bottom and remaining side of the pastry.
- 14Continue rolling up the strudel and arrange, seam side down, on a cookie sheet.
- 15Cover with a slightly damp cloth while making the second strudel.
- 16Repeat the entire process with the second strudel.
- 17Prick 4 holes along the top of each strudel.
- 18Bake the strudels in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crisp and evenly brown.
- 19Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
- 20While the strudel is warm, not hot, sprinkle with icing sugar, or once strudel has cooled, drizzle your favourite vanilla icing over each roll.
- 21Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 320.8
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 189.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: