Recipe by Mom2Rose
Source: Pillsbury "Rhubarb lends a tangy bite to a strawberry tart. Use fresh or frozen (unsweetened)."
Top Review by MarthaStewartWanabe
We used our first rhubarb and strawberries of the season to make this scrumptious dish. The only disappointment was the crumb topping melted into the pie and was not crispy as envisioned, and I should also add the flavor from the almond extract was virtually undetectable. Otherwise, this tart was wonderful. The strawberries and rhubarb were cooked perfectly with just the right amount of sweetness and tanginess, and the custard poured atop before baking added delicate creaminess to the fruit. I served this along with my other recipe swap choices (Recipe #162675, Recipe #305909 and Recipe #324145) for a nice summer meal. I enjoyed a piece for dinner last night and another for breakfast this morning. Irresistable! (Made for Recipe Swap #29 - June 2009)
- 1 pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box (from 15-oz box)
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, coarsely sliced
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Place pie crust in 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie.
- Trim edges if necessary.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until light.
- Beat in granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and the almond extract until well blended.
- Alternately layer rhubarb and strawberries into crust-lined pan.
- Pour egg mixture over fruit.
- In small bowl, mix brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and the nutmeg.
- With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over top.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is set in center.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Remove side of pan; cut tart into wedges.
- Store in refrigerator.