Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Rhubarb is usually served in the spring however, I like to have some in the freezer and surprise my family with its bright flavor in the winter. This cake is DH's great Auntie Grace's recipe which she first made for me at the baby shower for my oldest son. It's delicious!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter (she used margarine)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2 to 1 inch pieces
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, the baking powder. salt and 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Cut in 1/3 cup butter/margarine.
- Stir in the beaten egg and milk; mix well.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter to make a crumb-like struesel.
- Distribute the rhubarb evenly over the cake mixture.
- Sprinkle the strawberry jello evenly over the rhubarb and cake.
- Sprinkle the stuesel crumbs evenly over all.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.