Recipe by PrimQuilter
You don't need an ice cream maker for this recipe, only a saucepan and food processor. It sounds heavenly ! Published in Redbook, June 2007
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb, tops trimmed, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 lb frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer until rhubarb is very soft and forms a sauce, 6-8 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- In a food processor, combine frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice.
- Process strawberries until finely chopped, but still frozen.
- With motor running, pour in cream.
- Process until creamy, but still frozen, scraping frequently.
- Spoon ice cream into a large bowl.
- Fold in rhubarb sauce just until combined, with streaks of rhubarb remaining.
- Freeze until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
- If frozen overnight, let stand at room temperature 15 minutes or until soft enough to scoop.