Recipe by Calee
A nice summer treat served with either ginger ale or champagne. Can be frozen in a pan or made in a 2-quart ice cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Time to make doesn't include freezing time
Top Review by PatriciaL.
All of my nieghbors love it when i make this int he summer. I add 1/2 of what is says to add of the sugar and substitute slpenda for the sugar since I have a neighbor who is diabetic
- 4 cups rhubarb (fresh or frozen sliced)
- 1 1⁄4 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- champagne (optional) or ginger ale (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using frozen rhubarb, thaw slightly.
- In medium saucepan combine rhubarb, 1/2 cup of the cranberry juice and sugar.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and rhubarb is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining cranberry juice and strawberries. Cool.
- Place half mixture in blender process until smooth. Transfer mixture to 9x9x2 inch nonmetal freezer-proof container.
- Repeat with remaining rhubarb mixture.
- Cover and freeze for 4-5 hours or until nearly firm.
- Break frozen mixture into small chunks and place in chilled large bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer on low to medium speed until smooth but not melted. Return mixture to container.
- Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours or until firm.
- To serve, scrape frozen mixture with small ice cream scoop. Scoop ice into dessert dishes. If desired, pour a little champagne or ginger ale around the fruit ice.